Sunday, May 10, 2009

Twitter Tweeting

I read this article in the NYTimes today, and it's about all the neat things you can do on Twitter after you get situated, which apparently takes about a day. Oprah is now on Twitter, and did it on her show, which means housewives across america are tweeting away, letting everyone know what kinds of muffins they are making or the awesome new cleaner they just discovered that clears away tough grease (because in my world, housewives are still just like they were in the 50s). My brother has been on Twitter for ages now, and his computer makes these chriping noises when he gets tweets or whatever they're called, and he has told me more than once how awesome it is.

After reading this article, then reading about Twitter on Wikipedia (which is now my knee-jerk response to learning about things I don't know about— not sure if that's the best tactic actually, but there you are) and then reading what Twitter has to say about itself... I gotta say I still don't get it.

I know that it says the reason it exists is to tell people what you're doing. Twitter itself also insists that it isn't an overload of information, because you can pay as much or as little attention to people's twitterings as you like. But I still am not convinced that I need ANOTHER way of keeping track of people. Maybe I am being a little bit of a techno-phobe. Or I just feel that instant communication via cellphones, texting, emailing, blogging, facebook-ing, flikring, etc. is pretty much enough for me.

I think I'll wait until they make a computer chip implanted into my brain where I can communicate telepathically with all my friends and family instantly. Sound like anyone you know?


RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment